Back to Vermont

Today, Debbie and I made a short trip to Vermont. We hadn’t been there since New Year’s weekend. Vermont just can’t catch a break. It’s mud season now, so it’s pretty ugly. Debbie went for a long run in Quechee and Woodstock. I went for a short ride. It’s more enjoyable/bearable to run in 45 degree Fahrenheit rain than it is to ride. I was afraid that I might not emerge from some of the potholes that I rode into. This wasn’t the kind of Vermont ride that you read about in one of those fancy bicycle touring brochures. There was no epic foliage…no picnic lunch with a great vista…no sunshine..the covered bridges…well most are washed out. It was nasty, but it was a ride.

The state is still suffering from the effects of Tropical Storm Irene, which devastated the landscape last August. The flooding was terrible. Bridges remain out. Roads are still washed out. Debris and mud are everywhere. We only got a glimpse, but the Ottauquechee River valley was one of the worst hit areas. It became a raging torrent during the storm and it wiped out nearly everything in its path.

Last October’s snowstorm and power outage wasn’t a major event for Vermonters. Southern New England was harder hit. Vermont is used to snow, and they rely on the white stuff to drive the economy, but not this winter. The extremely mild winter was horrible for the ski industry and all of the other industries that it supports. Now, all they have is mud. The folks in northern New England are resilient, so I’m confident that they will rebound when the economy and weather turn better.

I’m looking forward to our next trip north and I hope to see more improvement.

0 Responses to “Back to Vermont”

  1. Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Horst Engineering

Thread Rolling Inc.

Sterling Machine

Horst Spikes


Little D passed her second of three #taekwondo #blackbelt tests. The third, and biggest, is in October. #tkd #sunset #md90 🌞✈️ #echoamphitheater #carsonnationalforest #newmexico Stopping to stretch our legs and use the potty was the best $2 I've spent in a while. I even borrowed a nickel from @trailrunningmom and got rid of the 95 cents in my pocket. Amazing #durango #colorado trails. These are the #HorseGulchTrails near @fortlewiscollege which has an amazing #cycling culture. When I raced collegiates @bcclubcycling & @bucycling in the early 90's, it wasn't anything like what's happening with the powerhouse @flccycling team. What an amazing backyard. Imagine rolling out of your dorm and onto this landscape. I would never go to class! Don't tell my kids I said that! #mountainbiking #cyclocross #teamhorstsports #teamhorstjuniorsquad #horstspikes 🚵‍♀️ @trailrunningmom finished in 41 hours and 1 minute. #hr100 #hardrock100 #shenipsitstriders #teamhorstsports #trailrunning #ultrarunning #womenofultrarunning @trailrunningmom  at the #hr100 #womenofultrarunning @trailrunningmom  at the #hr100 #womenofultrarunning @trailrunningmom left the Chapman Aid Station at 2:10 P.M. I paced her from Ouray (56.6 miles) to Chapman (82.2 miles). @ultramarathondan will take her to the finish of the @hardrock100 #hr100 #hardrock100 Most importantly, she is in good spirits and despite the altitude, is moving OK on the climbs, albeit slowly. As for the descents, her legs are trashed but she is still bombing them. Finish could be in the 40-42 hour range if all goes well. Who knows? Lots of variables! Fingers crossed. I have tons of photos to go through, so I selected one of our crew with Deb as she headed out for the final 18 miles. #trailrunning #ultrarunning #shenipsitstriders #teamhorstsports We finally reconnected with @trailrunningmom She arrived at Grouse Gulch, 42.2 miles at 8:33pm and departed at 8:50pm. She was soaked to the bone after climbing her first ever 14,000 foot peak. Handies had lots of hail and rain. She changed every piece of clothing and shoes and felt much better. The drive to/from was white knuckle insanity with our rental. @ultramarathondan is with her now. It will be a long night. I'll see her in Ouray. Our kids  have been awesome. Mom just wants to finish, but a long way to go. @hardrock100 #hr100 #hardrock100 #trailrunning #ultrarunning 🏃🏻⛰

Follow me on Twitter



Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 282 other followers

%d bloggers like this: