Monadnock Hike & Bike (and the Scouts BSA)


Last weekend’s trip to Mount Monadnock and Monadnock State Park was awesome. It was the “capstone” trip/event of Debbie’s career as our son’s Den Leader.


We have been involved with Bolton Cub Scouts Pack 157, and Den 5, for the last five years. Our involvement in Scouts won’t stop. Next month, Shepard will earn his Arrow of Light and move on to Boy Scouts Troop 25 in Manchester. He will start his journey towards Eagle Scout. Two of my first cousins, Brian and Tim Nelson, are Eagle Scouts/alumnus from Troop 25.

2018_Monadnock Hike-20

I’m also an Eagle Scout (1988) and am a product of Troop 11 in Vernon. It’s likely that our daughter will continue with Scouts, but transition from the Girl Scouts of the USA  to the “boy’s side.” I’m a step or two behind on the new rules of the Boy Scouts of America (now known as Scouts BSA), but I’ll get up to speed soon. They made some big moves in the past 18 months to get with the times. It will be interesting to see if the Girl Scouts and the Boy Scouts (Scouts BSA) remain relevant for the next generation and beyond.

2018_Monadnock Hike-8

Five years ago, I wrote about the Boy Scouts in this blog post, where I shared a letter that written to the corporate leadership challenging  them to be more inclusive. For more than 20 years, I kept my distance from the Boy Scouts and their exclusionary policies, but five years ago, my son’s involvement was on the horizon, and I was conflicted about getting involved. I wanted him to experience Scouting and the skills that it teaches. I attribute Scouts for my love of the environment, my role in conservation organizations including the Appalachian Mountain Club and Connecticut Forest & Park Association; and my zest for outdoor adventure.

2018_Monadnock Hike-5

This post is less about the politics of Scouting and more about the joy of hiking (and biking). Debbie put together the Monadnock trip for her Den and in addition to our son and daughter, three other boys and their fathers participated. I hadn’t been to the summit of Monadnock in years, though we have been to the area many times. We were last there in 2016 for the Wapack and Back Trail Race. We (both of us) also ran it in 2014. In both cases, we were on Pack Monadnock, a nearby mountain, but didn’t make it to Grand Monadnock.

2018_Monadnock Hike-1

I think the last time we were on Grand Monadnock was like 15 years ago. Maybe more. Prior to that, I had climbed the mountain a few times with friends from Team Horst Sports. Even before that, I climbed it solo when I was in college. It really is a great mountain. It’s one of the most frequently climbed in the world. It’s reported that Mt. Fuji in Japan is the only mountain climbed more often.

2018_Monadnock Hike-9

We drove up on Saturday morning. The overnight showers cleared and by the time we started our hike, the weather was gorgeous. The summit was crowded, as you would expect for the best weather of this wet spring. The kids had a blast, and the parents were able to keep pace. We lingered on the summit and then returned to the state park where we set up camp. We spent the night, which was fun. It turned out to be a wet one as the rain moved in again.

2018_Monadnock Hike-21

The four of us woke up in our tent with many leaks. Debbie has been talking about an upgrade, but our 20-year-old four person tent has done us well…until recently. After we got up, we didn’t linger. I had previously hatched a plan to ride my bicycle home from Monadnock, but the steady rain was a blow to my morale. I waffled about the ride, but eventually declared that I was doing it. We packed everything but the tent, saving it for last. I pulled my bike out of the car where I had stashed it for the night, and parked it under an overhang.

2018_Monadnock Hike-3

Once we got the tent down, I changed in the car, working up the courage to start a long ride in the pouring (cold) rain. The temperature was in the low-40’s Fahrenheit, which can be the worst kind of weather to ride in. If you stop for a moment, hypothermia will set in. I think that risk is partially what motivated me to go for it rather than joining the family in the car for the 100 or so miles home.

2018_Monadnock Hike-7

My math said I could get home in about seven hours if I averaged close to 15 miles per hour. The route would have more downhill than up, but there would be enough up and down to challenge me. I had my Seven Axiom SL super-commuter, which is my favorite bike. I took off the panniers, but kept the rear rack, fenders, and front pack. This is the bike I ride to/from work and I just love it. It isn’t the lightest road bike, but it’s my most versatile bike.


In the end, the fenders only helped a little. The family rolled out of the parking lot five minutes before I did. I was on my own. I coasted down the hill to the entrance of the park. I stopped and took my only photo of the day. I turned my iPhone off to save the battery should I really need it. I tucked it in my pocket and that’s where it stayed until I reached Stafford Springs, Connecticut nearly six and a half hours later.

10 minutes into the ride and I was already soaked to the bone and chilled. Somewhere in that first segment of the ride, I missed a turn on to Rt. 119, which would take me to Rt. 32, the main route for the day. I was already cold and miserable, so I just kept riding until I recognized a road. I sensed that I was going the wrong way and that was confirmed when I saw signs for Keene, which is northwest of Monadnock. I needed to go southwest, and then due south on 32. I stubbornly rode towards Keene until I found the main drag. Eventually, I turned left, in the direction of south, and rode until I found the airport south of town. From there, I just used my gut to navigate. Eventually, I found 32.

Nearly 90 minutes had passed before I finally came to the 119 intersection. I figured I had added 20 miles to the ride and that was a real bummer. By the time I crossed the Massachusetts line, I was frozen and struggling to keep my handlebars straight on the steep descents. Some of the heaviest rain hit me in between Royalston and Athol. I was wearing my eyeglasses, but eyes were so cold and wet that I felt blinded and it was hard to see when descending. It was a bit sketchy, but I forged on knowing that if I stopped for even a minute that it could spell disaster. Long point to point rides with no support in these conditions leaves no room for mistakes. That’s why I was having “fun.”

32 goes from New Hampshire all the way through Massachusetts and then on to Connecticut, so once I was on 32, I knew where to go. All I had to do was pedal and keep on 32, which was by no means a straight line. It jogged left and right and cut through small towns as it worked its way south, skirting to the east of the Quabbin Reservoir. You can see the route on my Strava feed if we are connected. Speaking of the Quabbin, the last time I was this cold on a bicycle was seven years ago at the 2011 Quabbin Reservoir Classic, which I wrote about.  Excerpts from my post were published along with the stories of three other riders from that race, in the now defunct 9W Magazine, a literary/cycling journal.

Thankfully, the temperature was a bit warmer last Sunday, and despite the pouring rain, I hung in there. I didn’t eat much. I had a Clif Bar and a banana. Eventually, I stopped in Stafford Springs after the rain had stopped, but only had a coconut water and a Naked juice. I burned more than 3,000 calories while only taking in 600 or so. My only wardrobe issue was that I forgot my booties. My feet were very cold. The booties wouldn’t have kept them dry, but they would have added insulation. I also wished I had a warmer pair of gloves, but it likely wouldn’t have made that much of a difference. I carried a lighter weight second set of gloves, and eventually switched to them when the rain had tapered off.

The stretch through Massachusetts was diverse. As I rode south through Royalston, Athol, Petersham, and Barre; I enjoyed the solitude. That section of 32 is beautiful and less congested than the southern section. It brought back memories of some of the great western Massachusetts road races that I did in the 1990’s including the Hubbardston-Barre Road Race. My old teammate, Will Kirousis, hails from Petersham, and we visited his home many times in those years.

I pushed on. The stretch of road from Ware, through Palmer, into Monson, and then Stafford Springs, was the worst. The Sunday afternoon traffic was bad and unfortunately, I had several run-ins with motorists. I kept my patience, but was “coal rolled” three separate times. These huge jacked up pickup trucks pulled up next to me, and then jammed on their accelerators, belching putrid exhaust into my face as their engines roared and they pulled away. It’s such a cowardly thing to do, but sadly common for “boys” who I dub Swamp Yankees (a New England version of “yahoo”). There were many other inconsiderate motorists who left me with a lot less than the recommended/mandatory 18 inches of space.

In Stafford Springs, a huge GMC Suburban pulled up next to me and the passenger (a woman) hung out the window and yelled at me to “move over.” I completely understand if cyclists avoid roads altogether. The situation has clearly gotten worse and its dangerous.

By the time I got to Stafford Springs, I was cracked. Thankfully, a cool wind had blown the rain out of the area. It was still overcast and cold, but I was a bit warmer, so I stopped at a Cumberland Farms to message Debbie and buy the juice. I had gone six hours and not even drank half a bottle of water. I was fine, but still enjoyed stopping to hydrate. Amazingly, I avoided any serious chaffing on the whole ride. I hadn’t ridden that far since my 132 mile Vermont Six Gaps Ride in 2016, also on my Axiom SL.

Last Sunday’s ride ended up being 119.9 miles and it took me eight hours and four minutes of moving time to get it done. I was very happy to get home. Debbie asked me why I didn’t ride another .01 miles to get an even 120, but then I told her about the missed turn and 20 mile Keene diversion, and she understood why I was ready to be done. I doubt my GPS is that accurate anyway!


Last weekend’s dual adventures were awesome. Every so often, I need these long solo rides to sooth my soul. It’s hard to explain the feeling, but I tune out and spend time with my own thoughts. I hatch business plans, think about goals, and zone out. My subconscious takes over and I enjoy the moment, even if it involves suffering.

Some of my first big adventures started when I was in the Scouts. It’s great to share my adventures with my own kids and their friends. I have no doubt that they will inherit my love for the outdoors, hiking, and biking.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

HORST Engineering Family of Companies

Cross Spikes™ by HORST Cycling


@trailrunningmom scorched the final 10 miles. I made the 90 minute drive back to the finish and then ran out to meet her with six or so to go. We hammered the final rocky descent and then accelerated on the infernal five miles of dirt road that led to the finish. Time was about 27h54m @bighorn100 @bighorntrailrun #bighorn100 #shenipsitstriders #teamhorstsports @ultraspire #ultraspire #trailrunning #ultrarunning
@trailrunningmom is in the homestretch. She is on the last 17 mile segment coming down from the Dry Fork Ridge Aid Station. She came through around 9:15 A.M. after another grueling climb. It’s blazing hot. @bighorn100 @bighorntrailrun #bighorn100 shenipsitstriders #teamhorstsports @ultraspire #ultraspire #trailrunning #ultrarunning
66 miles down as of 3:15 A.M or so. Second trip over Sally’s Footbridge. This time after 18 miles mostly downhill (all in the dark). I’ll see her at one more aid station. She perked up a bit and is on the last big climb now. She says her “quads are not working.” @bighorn100 @bighorntrailrun #bighorn100
In and out of Jaws Trailhead Aid Station at 8,800 feet @bighorn100 @bighorntrailrun #bighorn100 Nearly 5,000 feet of vert in 18 miles of relentless climbing was not @trailrunningmom ‘s jam. She suffered and slowed but she got moving again at the 48 mile mark. Long night ahead and now she is running the same 18 miles back DOWN the mountain. #shenipsitstriders #teamhorstsports @ultraspire #ultraspire #trailrunning #ultrarunning
The good news is that @trailrunningmom was flying coming into Sally’s Footbridge Aid Station at 30 miles and some big descending. The bad news is I missed her after a three hour drive. It’s now a three hour drive back to the next AS. I feel terrible but a wrong turn was costly. You would think this was my first crew job! AS volunteers said she looked good and was running near the front. @bighorn100 @bighorntrailrun @shenipsitstriders #shenipsitstriders #teamhorstsports @ultraspire #ultraspire #trailrunning #ultrarunning #bighorn100
I saw @trailrunningmom at the Dry Fork Ridge Aid Station at 13.4 miles. She had a little under 4,000 feet of climbing to get to this AS at 7,480 feet. She was running in third but it is so early. As you can see, she was smiling. The scenery for crews is amazing. For runners it is even better. @bighorn100 @bighorntrailrun #bighorn100 #shenipsitstriders #teamhorstsports @ultraspire #ultraspire #trailrunning #ultrarunning
Start of the @bighorn100 @bighorntrailrun in #Wyoming @trailrunningmom is ready to rock it. About 300 runners started at 9:10 A.M. Depending on connectivity I’ll update every 4-6 hours. It’s remote! @shenipsitstriders #shenipsitstriders #teamhorstsports @ultraspire #ultraspire #trailrunning #ultrarunning
@trailrunningmom pulled the plug at #RunRagged Last Person Standing Race after 23 hours/laps and 71 miles. Five intrepid runners were still going when we departed. She is happy with her distance and was pleased to stop before the rain returned. Congrats to all who ran and kudos to the volunteers from the #cttrailmixers @bighorntrailrun is less than a month away and it’s her A race. She wanted to stay within her limits this weekend. Thanks to @laurab_312 for being on our crew. @shenipsitstriders #shenipsitstriders #teamhorstsports #trailrunning #ultrarunning @ultraspire #ultraspire
I arrived at the #cttrailmixers #RunRagged Last Person Standing Race in time to see the end of lap 11 and start of lap 12. Judging the quality of the field, this could easily go to Monday or Even Tuesday. The rugged 5K loop is running 40-55 minutes/lap with some moisture and mud for added challenge. @trailrunningmom says she feels good but it’s early. They started at 8:00 A.M. this morning. It’s been in the mid-40’s F and raining on and off all day. ☔️

Follow me on Twitter



Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 430 other followers

%d bloggers like this: