2022 HURT 100

The Livingston Family’s 2022 HURT 100 expectations were exceeded by a hundred miles! Debbie ran a monster race to claim the victory and finish 7th overall at this island of Oahu classic ultra in its 21st edition. In my estimation, HURT is defined by two things: 1) the course and 2) the “ohana” or extended family that makes up the heart of the Hawaiian Ultra Running Team’s community.

I’ve organized this post so that it is easier to follow. I’ve created sections for Debbie’s ultra history, HURT pre-race, each of the five laps, post-race, and a summary.

Debbie and I have been a thing since 1999 which means I’ve been around for the entirety of her 23 year ultrarunning career. I’ve seen nearly all of her spectacular performances. Among her 100+ ultras, I’ve seen all but a few. One thing I’ve witnessed is all of are her 100 milers. All that running has actually improved my writing! That number of hundreds is 12, though there are two DNF’s in that total (they build character).

Among the “shorter” races, there have been some incredible performances. At dinner last night, she cited the 2012 Laurel Highlands Ultra (70 miles) as her best ever performance. There have been so many others to recall and smile about. She has an incredible palmares. However, when asked about her ultrarunning, most people want to know about the longest of these races, which means hundreds. With her HURT finish, that dozen-long list is pretty cool to see. She hasn’t taken the easy route. Her choices include some of the tougher options, including several iconic mountain races with gnarly courses.

HURT 100 has been on her wish list for a long time. She knew the course would be ideal for her strengths. It’s a hilly race on very difficult terrain, but at sea level. The hills are short and steep. Undulating would be a good description. The longest climb is probably less than two miles and it isn’t a relentless grade, but rather has a bit of up and down. That’s quite different from the climbs at Bighorn, Tahoe, or Hardrock. Those are all races at altitude where she hasn’t performed at her best. She is an incredible downhill runner, especially on technical terrain, so the HURT course was one she wanted to try. HURT is known for its’ roots. After all, the best known video about the race is called ROOTED.

HURT’s own description of the event is very informative and worth sharing as an overview and the Book of HURT is a great resource. Check it out:

The Hawaiian Ultra Running Team’s Trail 100-Mile Endurance Run, referred to hereafter as the “HURT100”, is a very difficult event designed for the adventurous and well-prepared ultrarunner. It is conducted on trails within the jurisdiction of the State of Hawaiʻi Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR)Division of Forestry and WildlifeNā Ala Hele program. Nā Ala Hele has turned traces of pig trails through the rain forest into people-friendly, single-track paths. The event organizers are very grateful for the staff’s untiring year-round commitment to trail maintenance for all users, and help in preparing for this annual event.

A detailed description of the HURT100 including the registration process can be found in the latest edition of the Book of HURT.

The About section of the website is loaded with info including course maps and descriptions. The Book of HURT has excellent course overviews, race history, logistics, more maps, and a lot of other data.

  • 100 miles over 5 laps (partial out and backs) in a semi-tropical rain forest.
  • 24,500 feet of cumulative elevation gain (and 24,500 feet of cumulative loss) over the course of 100 miles.
  • 99% single-track trails, 1% asphalt.
  • Moderately packed soil, generously interspersed with roots, rocks, puddles, and mud wallows.
  • Narrow trails through forest, along exposed ridges, and past vertical embankments.
  • 20 stream crossings (four per lap).
  • Three aid stations per lap.
  • 36-hour time limit.

This statement is hyperbole, but getting into HURT 100 may be as challenging as finishing. Annually, the race’s initial entrant list is limited to 136 runners (slots) and normal attrition results in approximately 125 starters. Of the 136 slots, only 118 are part of the lottery. The others are reserved for the prior year podium finishers and 10 HURT Board discretionary picks.

There is a wait list and when Debbie missed out on the regular 2022 lottery, she was 55th on the waitlist. She has missed out in prior HURT lotteries as well, including 2020, the last time the race was held. 2021 was a miss as a result of the pandemic related cancellation.

125 starters is 20 less than the Hardrock Endurance Run, which is probably the most limited iconic ultra in the world. The Western States Endurance Run has the highest demand and is the most sought after, but it is larger with more than 350 entrants and even more hoopla. These are three different kinds of races, though all are held in incredible surroundings. Hardrock has even more vert and is at high altitude in big mountains. Western States is the grandaddy of the sport, boasts the most competitive field (other than maybe UTMB a much larger race), but has less climbing and less ruggedness. WSER does have high heat. HURT 100 has a mix of everything. The course is the most gnarly of the three, it’s hot AND humid, it’s got a ton of climbing, it has the most single night of darkness (more than 13 hours), and of course…it’s on the island of Oahu in Hawaii which just raises the fun factor even more.

We hadn’t been to Hawaii since 2010 when I did the IRONMAN World Championships. Our kids didn’t remember that trip and we have been looking for a reason to get back to the islands for more than a decade. For more than a year, our family kept a placeholder in the calendar in case she got in during the June lottery. However, when she ended up so far down on the waitlist, we deleted the calendar item. We never thought that so many waitlisters would get in. Of course, we also didn’t fully anticipate the impact of the pandemic, the delta surge, the omicron surge, the airline challenges, Hawaii’s travel requirements, and the race’s vaccination requirements. HURT normally attracts a broad entrant list with folks from all over the USA and elsewhere around the world. Asia, and particularly Japan, normally has several entrants. Despite the volatility with the entrant list, this year’s starters were a diverse group of men and women.

After the summer, Debbie and I lost track of the HURT waitlist process and moved on, but then on November 5th, she got an email, inviting her to register. She was given three days to decide and process registration before they would move to the next person on the waitlist. The message reminded her about the race’s requirements and Honolulu’s requirements, including vaccination for runners, pacers, crew, and volunteers. We talked about it over a few days, I got support from my colleagues at HORST Engineering, we discussed the impact on Shepard and Dahlia’s schooling (because we wanted to include them) and ultimately committed to the trip. We knew there would be risks but couldn’t have anticipated how logistically challenging it would get as the pandemic raged on.

So essentially, with two months notice, she accepted. She was confident that she was in great base shape and could ramp up to 100 mile distance preparation in eight weeks. Her last 100 was Bighorn back in June. That was her last ultra distance trail race. She rode the Vermont 50 on her mountain bike and has done several trail running FKT’s, but the busy fall was mostly focused on her coaching middle school cross country for Bolton Center School. Her 20+ year base of fitness made this possible.

Leading up to the trip, we had to navigate the holidays, the Covid-19 omicron variant surge, flight cancellation worries, and host of challenges. It was touch and go, but when travel day arrived, we were ready to go.


We traveled to Honolulu on a direct flight from Boston. We arrived on Tuesday the 11th January, which gave us several days to adjust to the time change (five hours behind) and get used to the heat and humidity. We decided to get up early every day to keep some semblance of normalcy. On our first full day, we hiked Mt. Olamana with the kids. It was awesome and gave us a taste of the Oahu trails. We had an early morning rainstorm that turned the trail into a greasy muddy mess. Thankfully, by race day, the trails dried considerably and were only wet in spots. I’ll write a separate post about this hike and some of our other activities including our visit to Pearl Harbor and various beaches. Last week, I wrote about my FKT on Mt. Ka’ala. There is no question that we packed in a lot of activity.

We had the good fortune to stay at the home of friends in Hawaii’kai. This headquarters was a great spot and within 30 minutes (unless there was bad rush hour Honolulu traffic) of the start/finish/aid station at the Nature Center, the Paradise Park Aid Station, and the Nu’uanu Aid Station. The race was on the weekend, so traffic was minimal and it was easy to get around. The main transportation challenges related to the slow and narrow roads. Plus, parking for all three aid stations required a least 1/2 mile walk. This isn’t a big deal, but you had to factor it in. Crews only had access to the Nature Center and Paradise Park so you could easily manage that back and forth.

The course is a called a “loop” but that is not really true because the trail is not continuous. It’s shaped more like a “tripod” or “t-bone” with out and backs to each aid station and a central section of overlapping trail. You cover 20 miles each loop, but using only 13 miles of unique trail. At times, especially at night, it was a bit confusing. The first leg was marked with white ribbons, he second section with green ribbons, and the third section with orange ribbons. If you saw a blue ribbon, it meant you were headed down a different (wrong) trail. Overall, the course was marked well.

Race packet pickup was a frill free drive-thru affair on Friday afternoon at a local school. Then Debbie and I got up early on Saturday around 4:15 A.M. We left the kids at the house and we got to the Aid Station in time for the final Covid-19 protocols which included a temperature check. Once that was done, she got her number (67) and her wrist band, which was traditionally blessed with special water from a stream on the course. She had an hour to place her three drop bags in the proper location and mingle a bit while shaking out any pre-race nerves.

Loop 1

The race started promptly at 6:00 A.M. The course funnels over a footbridge and then goes uphill immediately. Crew weren’t allowed to see their runner until late morning, so that pretty much meant that they were on their own for Loop 1. I drove back to the house to pick up the kids. I helped them get packed for the day and then we drove to the KCC Farmers’ Market on the campus of Kapiolani Community College in Honolulu. The market was packed but we walked around and got some food for the day and some items to bring home.

After the market, we drove back to the Nature Center in time to see the first runners arrive. Debbie was already leading the women. We knew it was going to be a long day and night and there was a long way to go, but we didn’t mess around and helped get her out of the aid station quickly. I ran up the hill with her and encouraged her to keep the pace.

When she was out of sight, I returned to the kids. It was getting really hot and it wasn’t even 11:00 A.M. We drove to Nu’uanu and found a parking spot about 1/4 mile from the aid station. We checked in with the volunteer coordinator, submitted our Covid-19 paperwork, showed our vaccination cards, and got our temperature checked. They issued us a wrist band and we got our first assignments. Shepard and I helped unload supplies, including fuel for the generators. Dahlia met the kitchen crew and learned the ropes. All food was individually bagged. Sadly, there were a lot of plastic bags, but this was a compromise in an effort to keep people healthy.

Throughout the afternoon, the kids helped in and around the kitchen. They rolled rice balls, made ice bags, and prepared lots of other foods. When runners arrived, they would approach them and offer ice and other items from the tables. I helped fill hydration packs, fetch items, and I took a lot of photos. I spent a lot of time down by the stream crossing. I assisted by calling out numbers of the runners as they made their way across the stream. Another volunteer was radioing their numbers up to the aid station, which was about 500 feet up the hill. By the time each runner reached the station, their drop bag had been found and set on a bench. The aid station crew were fantastic and the processes were well oiled.

Loop 2

The kids and I worked our designated shifts from noon until 6:00 P.M. I’m so happy that Debbie had signed us up to volunteer. Both kids were worried that they would be hot, tired, and bored. Neither of them wanted their shift to end and they both asked to come back. Thankfully, they made a lot of friends, including with Freddy, the aid station captain, and he was thrilled with them. We got to see Debbie come through on Loop 2, which was neat. By the time we left to head back to the house, it was getting dark, and the runners who were arriving, were showing fatigue. The male front runners were already lapping those at the back of the pack.

Loop 3

I took the kids back to the house and changed into the gear I would need to run with Debbie overnight. I posted updated on social media, said goodbye to the kids, and drove back to Nu’uanu. I checked in with Freddy again and helped in the same fashion as I had earlier in the day. Eventually, Debbie arrived towards the end of her Loop 3 and she was still leading. The main chasers were Mele DeMille, Anna Albrecht, and Yukari Hoshino. Alyx Luck Barnett and Denise Bourassa were a little farther back, but all of these women were still in the running at the halfway point of the race. Anna and Denise are past winners. Anna won when the race was last held in 2020 and Denise won in 2016. Anna is 27 and an awesome up and comer. Denise is 52 and a stellar veteran runner. Debbie and Denise did battle at the Pinhoti 100 in 2012. It’s crazy to think that was 10 years ago. Denise won the race but because she had already finished in the top 10 of the 2012 Western States Endurance Run, the Golden Ticket for the 2013 WSER went to the 2nd and 3rd place women. Debbie finished 4th at Pinhoti and that was the closest she has come to nabbing a Golden Ticket of her own. Denise went on to finish 7th in the 2013 WSER.

Loop 4

I figured it would take close to two hours for Debbie to get back to the Nature Center, so I continued to aid other runners for an hour or so before heading back to the Nature Center. When I did drive there, I parked and then rested a bit in the car. I ate some food and then packed a bag of gear for her. She had a drop back at the aid station, but I augmented that with a change of shoes and socks. She chose to tackle the race with a pair of Altra Olympus sneakers. I hiked up and waited for her. When she arrived at 10:18 P.M., she told me she wanted to change her shoes. Ever since she crossed the stream on the first lap, her feet had been wet. The dry socks and shoes would help until she had to cross the stream again.

Mele was 16 minutes back, Yokuri was 39 minutes back, and Anna was 57 minutes behind. With 40 miles to go, all of them were still in contention, but if Debbie could get through another loop in the lead, she would be in good shape. The overnight loop was bound to be the most difficult and I’m glad I was there to pace her. On the big climb out of the Nature Center, she took out her trekking poles for the first time. I led her up the hill, picking the best line through the roots. The moon was bright but it as still very dark under the jungle canopy. On this stretch, her UltrAspire Lumen 600 waist light battery died after using it for eight hours. She had a spare as planned, so she took a minute to swap it out. She had used her UltrAspsire headlamp for the hour of darkness at the start of the race, but had used it sparingly since. It was her second backup. I also used the UltrAspire Lumen, alternating between the high and middle settings. You have to use that high setting sparingly to conserve the battery, so I saved its for the technical descents. I was impressed with Debbie’s condition. She was hiking steadily and aside from some foot pain due to constantly having wet feet, she wasn’t complaining about any other issues. She had yet to have a real low point. Her gut was good too.

She ran a very strong descent into the Paradise Park Aid Station. The aid station had a pirate theme. Nu’uanu had a tiki bar theme. Both aid stations were stocked with anything you could want or need at an ultra with tons of vegan options. She didn’t stay long at the aid station. She drank some Skratch to get some electrolytes. She had a little miso soup with rice. She asked for grapes to go. At this point, she started to drink cola with caffeine. She doesn’t consume anything with caffeine unless its during a race. It was a little before 1:00 A.M. when we departed the aid station and started the climb back out. There were few beautiful spots on the climb where you could see the canopy in the moonlight. You could also make out the stars and they were stunning. We passed Mele as she was coming down and by my math, Debbie had at least a 12 minute lead. It turned out to be 16, which means she was at least matching Mele’s pace. On the climb, we subsequently passed all of the other top women as they were descending to Paradise Park. Seeing them made Debbie push even harder.

We eventually made it up to the “flat” section in between Paradise Park and Nu’uanu. This was up on a ridge that had awesome southern views over Honolulu and Waikiki. The lights of the city were gorgeous. This was one of my favorite spots on the course. The trail was getting slick as condensation collected on the rocks and roots. Debbie says she didn’t fall once during the race. Many other runners suffered different fates. There were several twisted ankles and the roots were largely responsible for this. Debbie described running through the root sections like running through tires on a high school football obstacle course.

Debbie really pushed the downhill into Nu’uanu. The section along the stream was muddy. She mentioned the the jostling had caused some discomfort in her stomach and that she was going to be cautious about her food intake. She made a very quick turnaround at the aid station. She stuck with Skratch and cola, plus another bag of grapes. At this point, she was anxious about her chasers and wanted to get back on to the climb to see if she could gauge where they were at. Throughout the day, she had identified the points at which they would pass each other on the out and back sections. I gave her words of encouragement and she powered up the climb. Mele was the first to arrive on the descent and I calculated about a 20 minute gap. It was hard to tell but it felt similar to Paradise Park. Without a mobile connection, I couldn’t tell what the actual gap was. After the race, we we were able to see that it was 25 minutes, which meant Debbie had actually stretched the lead. Yukari was still in third and she was followed by Anna. We saw both of them on our way back up to the flats.

The downhill section to the Nature Center is known as “the pipes” because there are exposed concrete pipes all the way down the middle of the trail. I don’t know if they were previously used for drainage, but this section of trail is horribly rutted. There are lots of rocks and deep crevasses. It was muddy and slick, but Debbie ripped the descent. She led me which is normal as I’m a tentative downhiller. I shouted encouragement from behind. My thinking was that if she got to this section on the last lap with a healthy lead, that no one would catch her. She was in her element navigating this tricky descent. We got back to the Nature Center at 5:15 A.M. It had taken us nearly seven hours, which was her slowest lap, but everyone was slower in the darkness. She complained again about her stomach so she stuck with just cola.

Loop 5

This was my last stop, but I chose to exit the aid station with her and hike a little ways up the hill. I gave her a final round of encouragement. I was worried that she had to cover the next seven miles without a pacer. The others had support, but I knew Debbie was great at navigating the tricky course and she had her wits with her. I gave her a kiss and she kept climbing. I hiked back to the car, drove down the road, and found a spot where I could connect to the Internet. I posted my first social media updates in more than seven hours. I was also able to monitor the live tracking. It hadn’t been updated yet, so I drove back to the house and checked it again. What I saw was that Debbie had grown her lead at the Nature Center to 31 minutes but it was over Yukari. Mele was a further one minute back and then Anna, who was starting to charge, was another two minutes back. The women’s race was turning into a real battle with second, third, and fourth all within four minutes with 20 miles to go.

Shepard had set his alarm, so he was up when I arrived at the house. The sunrise looked to be spectacular. Dahlia was still asleep, but I roused her and asked her to eat some breakfast and prepare for the day. She wanted to do some more volunteer work at Nu’uanu. I knew we had several hours to kill. I washed up and then Shepard and I drove overt to Koko Crater. We were excited and wanted to do a walk. It was a beautiful morning and the famous abandoned railway to the top was jammed with people. We did the up and down hike from a distant parking lot in 51 minutes. We had a spectacular view from the top but couldn’t believe how many people were up there. Between the top and the bottom there had to be 1,000 people.

We drove back to the house and as expected, Dahlia was ready to go. Shepard grabbed his gear and we drove to the Paradise Park Aid Station. We had to park outside and walk 1/2 mile too the station. When we got there he said he wanted to run with his Mom. The original plan was for him to run in with her from Nu’uanu, but he said he was feeling good and wanted to go with her from 12.5 miles out. We checked him in as pacer. Debbie arrived a few minutes later and she was in good spirits, but she knew they were chasing her and she knew Anna was moving up. She left her lights in her drop back, drank some Skratch and cola, and then took off with Shepard. When I was able to get the live tracking, I saw that Mele arrived 33 minutes behind Debbie and Anna was one minute behind her. Yukari had faded, losing a chunk of time. This was shaping up to be a battle between Anna and Mele and the question was whether or not Debbie could hold on.

Dahlia and I walked back to the car and drove to Nu’uanu. This is when things really got interesting. I dropped off Dahlia so she could help the other volunteers. She returned to the kitchen. I parked the car up the road and walked back. The aid station volunteers were starting to pack away some of the items and I pitched in, putting away tiki torches and stuff that was no longer needed. I went down to the stream to see the volunteers who were spotting numbers. I took some photos. I was stoked when Debbie arrived with Shepard. They got to the aid station at 9:17 A.M. She was moving well and Shepard was encouraging her. There was only seven miles to go and the question would be whether or not she had a big enough lead. She had yet to falter or have a really bad patch so again, I figured that if she could get up and over one more big climb, no one would catch her on the descent to the finish at the Nature Center. We had at least an hour before we needed to leave, so we continued to help runners as they arrived. Some of them were on Loop 4 and some of them were on Loop 5.

One runner we were waiting for was our Hawaii’kai housemate, Timmy Glickman. Timmy had a strong first two loops but had struggled on Loop 3. He was due in at Nu’uanu on his Loop 4. Debbie had lapped him, but when he arrived, I gave him lots of encouragement. He DNF’d HURT in 2020 and was determined not to quit this year’s race. The organizers were going to have to pull him before he stopped. He rested a bit at the aid station, but then with a determined expression, he marched down the hill to the stream and kept going.

The other excitement at the aid station came when Anna arrived. She looked great. She had caught Mele and chopped 10 minutes off of Debbie’s lead between Paradise Park and Nu’uanu. Anna had stopped at the aid station but was jumping up and down waiting for her pacer. She clearly had gotten a second wind and was hammering. Mele arrived one minute later and the race was on. She didn’t even stop at the aid station. She crossed the threshold at the station and immediately turned around, beating Anna out. Anna quickly went after her. Mele’s pacer had been waiting for her and ran down the hill too. A few minutes later, she returned saying that Mele was going it alone. The lead was down to 24 minutes. By my math, this was enough but I was still worried. With Anna and Mele doing battle, they could either close the gap further or they could blow each other up. At the 92 mile mark, things were very exciting.

After the race, Shepard told me that Debbie didn’t panic, but that she was definitely flustered. They had passed Anna and Mele and thought the gap was closer to 15 minutes, which you could easily lose in the last two hours of an ultra like this. Dahlia and I helped out a few more runners, and then said our goodbyes to our fellow aid station volunteers. We drove back to the Nature Center for the final time. We parked and walked up to the finish line. It started to get hot, especially in the sun. At this point, it was just a waiting game. I expected Debbie in the next 20 minutes. Due to the Covid-19 restrictions, we weren’t allowed near the finish line, but they other volunteers promised us that when Debbie finished, we could enter the area to congratulate her and take photos.

I went around the backside of the aid station and walked up the hill so that I could see when Debbie and Shepard were coming. Gaps between runners were big but when one of the men she was chasing, Masazumi Fujioka, arrived, I knew that she was getting close. Less than three minutes later, she came flying down the hill. She looked possessed. I yelled for her, snapped a few photos with my Canon SLR, and handed my iPhone to Shepard. I asked him to shoot some video. She had to navigate the footbridge and then a sidewalk section that got her into the finish area. I ran around to the front and saw her reach the end. There is an awesome sign and then a bell that you are asked to ring, signifying your completion of the race. It was emotional for all of us, but especially Debbie. She leaned her head on the sign and soaked in the adulation. Shepard stood back and watched. Dahlia ran over and hugged her Mom. I stood back and watched as the race volunteers presented her with several amazing gifts, including a lei, a crown of flowers, a wood plaque to hold a bronzed face mask, a fleece, an aloha shirt, sunglasses, a hat, and a belt buckle.

All of this was fantastic, but simply knowing that she had scored a victory on such an iconic course was enough to give her joy. She was amazed with her own performance. She finished in 29 hours, 9 minutes and 10 seconds also good for 7th overall. She beat her goal of breaking 30 hours. Anna was the next woman to show up. She was 21 minutes behind indicating that she had pulled there minutes closer, but it wasn’t enough. Debbie’s lead had been secure. She told me that Shepard had urged her on and that coming down the pipes section in the last three miles that she was taking huge risks. She said she “switched off her pain receptors” and flew down the hill.

Shepard said she was grunting and making noises with every painful step. Mele must have cracked in the final seven miles because she had been gapped by Anna and finished 12 minutes behind Anna after leading her out of the aid station at Nu’uanu. Both of them gave it their all. Anna ran out of trail.

She didn’t run as consistent a race as Debbie, and afterwards said that she struggled earlier in the day, gave up too much time (more than an hour), but stuck with it and eventually turned her race around. She didn’t catch Debbie, but she still had a fantastic result. Mele held off Yukari for third. All of them deserve credit for giving pushing so hard all the way to the finish.


In the end, only 46 runners finished the full 100 miles within the 36 hour cut-off time. 77 runners didn’t finish. That’s not the race’s highest attrition rate in race history, but it is up there. Among the men, the top three were Pete Mortimer (23:59:34) who gave it his all to break 24 hours, Sergio Florian (25:30:16), and Cory Logsdon (26:03:44). It’s worth mentioning 4th because Anthony Lee led the race for a long time. He faded but still had a strong result. As noted, the top women were Debbie (29:09:10), Anna Albrecht (29:30:40), and Mele DeMille (29:42:07). HURT maintains an all-star list of winners. Debbie is not the first Connecticut resident to prove their muster on this course. Our friend, Matt Estes, won the race in 2007 in a then record time of 20:43.

She had quite a January. Her birthday was last Monday (the 10th) and she is the January “calendar girl” in the Breaking Trail Calendar “celebrating trail divas over the age of 40 and the Connecticut trails they traverse.”

The kids wouldn’t be happy if I neglected to say something about our rental car. It was a Nissan Sentra with 25,000 miles on it that definitely had been “driven like a rental” before we got it. It was the butt of many jokes thrroughout the week, but with all paved roads between the aid stations (a very rare occurrence), it was an economical drive that worked fine for our purposes. It made for some interesting zero to 65 merges onto the H-1 freeway, but we survived. Debbie’s skillset honed during 23 years of running on New England trails was ideal for this course. She is good in the heat and shines on technical gnarly trails. HURT’s terrain is likely the toughest she has encountered in a 100 miler and the climbing is immense.

What’s next? Debbie is bound to suffer some adrenal fatigue. A week later, she is walking fine and I bet she starts running easily again by Monday. However, she will have to take it easy given how deep she went. We did some skiing and snowboarding yesterday because the New England weather is cold and snowy. It’s another story but she got into Hardrock again. The race goes clockwise this time, so she is very excited to take it on. She wants to improve on her 2017 time and feel better doing it. I know that she will start planning the Colorado trip with the goal of arriving at least two weeks before the race so that she can properly acclimatize this time. In between now and July, she will be running Mt. Tammany 10, Traprock 50K, and probably another long ultra. I’m not sure if it will be a 100. She is interested in that Connecticut Ultra Traverse. We last did the entire CUT 112 as part of our 2020 New England Trail FKT. I think the CUT is too much too soon to Hardrock, but she will decide. I’m sure there will be an FKT or two mixed in this spring. I’m hoping to join her on an adventure or too. She will have to get her mountain climbing legs back by July.

She has done a few interviews this week. First she joined Ian Golden and Ellie Pell on the Trails Collective Podcast. It’s available in several video and audio formats. Just Google it. This link will take you to the recorded Facebook Live version.

On Friday night, Art Byram and Jimmy McCaffrey interview our entire family for the CULTRA Trail Running Podcast. That was fun. It was cool for Art to involve the kids and get their perspective on the race and on their Mom. Of note is a recent interview with Ellie Pell who recently nabbed a WSER Golden Ticket with a 2nd place finish at Bandera.

It’s hard to put a succinct final HURT 100 summary together. I may need more time and perspective, but the HURT ohana was very special. The volunteers were amazing. The spirit of aloha permeated the race and our entire trip. Hawaii is a special place and the island of Oahu is beautiful. Honolulu is a vibrant city, but its omnipresence didn’t detract from the race because the course was rugged and beautiful in its own right. This trip was about family so the fact that Dahlia, Shepard, and I were deeply involved in helping Debbie to one of her best performances is a special feeling. I’ll leave it at that.

HURT 100 Live Results

HURT 100 Final Race Results

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

HORST Engineering Family of Companies

Cross Spikes™ by HORST Cycling

Follow me on Twitter



Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 451 other subscribers

%d bloggers like this: